I am fascinated by the distinction between the two Greek words “chronos” and “kairos” as it relates to the LegacyLifeCycle.
“Chronos” is sequential, linear time…which is directly reflective of the graphic and sequential design of the LegacyLifeCycle.
“Kairos” is time revealed in its depth dimension. Kairos is an appointed sense of time and transcends or “intersects” the linear succession of years. Kairos is a strategic or “right time; the opportune point of time at which something should be done.
This vertical Kairos dimension is what causes us to pause at the LegacyLifeCycle and ask ourselves penetrating questions such as the following:
- Where am I in the LegacyLifeCycle in terms of my chronological age
- When I examine my age within the context of the LegacyLifeCycle is it reflective of the season of life that the graphic actually represents?
- What is missing reflective to the season of life that I’m in?
- How do I think about a sudden change of events in someone’s life (or perhaps my own) where radical circumstances alter the potential for living a 100 year life span as reflected in the LegacyLifeCycle?
- How does my human PURPOSE “fit” within the context of the LegacyLifeCycle?
- Am I honestly facing the issues of life? If so, what is the construct for my analysis? From where am I getting feedback? Who has permission to speak truthfully into my life?
- How do I process the conflicts within my life, my relationships and/or my occupation? Am I colliding with myself?
- To what ultimate end am I endeavoring to live my life?
- WHAT and WHO is my true identity?
The LegacyLifeCycle challenges us to once again contemplate the meaning and ultimate purpose of our lives that perhaps was only dreamt about as a young person. It calls us to ask the right questions and seek the right answers in order for us to contextualize the many complexities that life delivers to us regarding the matters of TIME…both chronos and kairos.